Thursday, August 26, 2010

Is that a banana in your basket?

Then, let's make some banana bread!

Banana Bread in Basel, Switzerland

At my local Migros yesterday I came across a bunch of brown, spotty bananas hiding in the 1/2 price bin. The thought of eating overly ripe bananas alone causes my nose to turn; however, mashing them up for a loaf of sweet bread or cake causes me to fist pump. SCORE!

I really do love banana bread and have tried many, many recipes. My favorite might have to be Smitten Kitchen's Jacked Up Banana Bread recipe. Ahhhh, that one was good. (I prove it, here.) I'm also a fan of the recipe found in The Joy of Cooking. But this time I decided to try out a recipe given by one of my new go-tos for everything food related—David Lebovitz.

You can see Mr. Lebovitz's original Banana Bread (though he calls it cake) recipe here; however, I found myself editing it a bit to work around what I had on hand. The result: a very satisfied stomach and way more than the recommended amount of potassium for the day. :)

Banana Bread in Basel, Switzerland

Banana Breake (you know, BREAd + cAKE?)

1 1/2 cups (210 g) flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup (150 g) sugar
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 tablespoons strong espresso
1 large egg white
1 large egg, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups (375 ml) banana puree, made from about 3 very ripe medium bananas
1/2 cup (125 ml) natur yogurt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Butter a 9-inch square pan or two small loaf pans and line the bottom with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 350F (180 C).

1. Sift together in a bowl the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Mix in the sugar.

2. In a large bowl, mix together the olive oil, espresso, egg white, egg, banana puree, yogurt and vanilla.

3. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and stir in the wet ingredients with a spatula until mixed; stop when any traces of flour disappear.

4. Scrape the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 40 minutes, or until the center feels lightly-springy and just done.

5. Cool on a baking rack.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

MandyB said...

Yum, Yum, YUM! Need to find a way to make some gluten free treats... I'm in withdrawal!!!

ninja said...

Migros, so you must be in Switzerland. That recipe looks simple- I must try it soon.

Expat Kochen said...

@Anja - yes, we are in Switzerland. Are you? :) Thanks for stoping by!